The diocese of Jinja covered a civic area then known as the District of Busoga. It stretches from Lake Victoria in the South, Lake Kyoga in the North, River Nile in the West and River Mpologoma in the North East, making Busoga almost an Island. Now, the region of Busoga although remaining the same, has been subdivided into seven civic districts of: Jinja, Kamuli, Iganga, Bugiri, Kaliro, Luuka, Namayingo, Namutumba, Buyende and Mayuge.
This diocese was originally part of the Vicariate of the Upper Nile and later, of the Diocese of Kampala. It was first evangelized by the Mill Hill Missionaries from 1899 on-wards after a short-lived attempt by a couple of Missionaries of Africa (1889-1890).
On the 5th of August 1966 the new Diocese of Jinja was created, being cut off from the former Diocese of Kampala and the See of the latter being transferred to Jinja.
Area 8,917 sq. km.
Diocesan Priests 78+1 FD
Missionary Priests 38
Missionary Sisters 54
Missionary Brothers 06
Ugandan Brothers 10
Ugandan Sisters 119
Catechists (trained) 234
A link with some news about Jinja diocese at 50 years